Safety and Self Rescue System for IDC Warehousing
Complete safety system for vertical access ladders fitted to warehouse beam or rail cranes. Unit allows full access and egress to the ladder and racking system to maintenance personnel.
The Preventor - Descender unit is fitted with 30m (ADUL-30) or 16m (ADUL-16) cable set. The system allows free movement up and down the ladder but in the event of a fall the unit will lock off within less than 20 cm and immediately switches to a fully automatic descender. Descent speed is approx 0.8 metres per second.
Using this set up allows safe climbing and self rescue from the ladder. If an incident were to occur the worker could be left hanging awaiting a rescue and possible effects of suspension trauma. Using the automatic unit prevents suspension trauma and the need for warehouse staff to organise what could be a complicated rescue.
The complete system comprises of:
- Preventor - Descender Unit fitted with either a 30 or 16 metre cable set to CE 0299, EN 360 and
- EN 795 Standards.Steel Ladder mounting bracket complete with bolts etc. For fixing to the very top of the ladder.
- Cradle support bracket for descender to prevent swinging of the unit when the crane moves along racking isle.
- Pull down pulley system or cord to lower the attachment carabiner for workers to attach to.
The benefits are clear...
- Safe climbing up and down, attached at all times.
- In the event of a fall, the person will not sustain a shock load.
- The person will not hang awaiting rescue and will not go into suspension trauma, nor will the warehouse have to organise what could be a complicated rescue.
Under the Working at Heights Regulations, as and from the 1st of October 2005, IDC warehouses cannot rely on the Fire Service due to the time required to muster the help and arrange a rescue. Therefore the warehouse should be self sufficient in their Safety and Rescue requirements.